Year 8 of the WAG.
What a day. A bunch of new faces to join some veteran waggers, beautiful 60 degree weather, great trails, and no one got lost (not too bad anyhow). Another successful Wagathon in the books.
Here’s some pics from the day.
November 11, 2012. It will be awesome. Dry trails, no rain, and sunshine guaranteed. Mostly old course with some new gems (if you like single track). This will represent the best of Gunks trail running.
THERE IS A MAJOR CHANGE IN THE START TIME THIS YEAR. DUE TO START LOCATION ISSUES AND THE COMPLAINT THAT THE FASTER PEOPLE DON’T GET TO MINGLE WILL THE SLOWER PEOPLE AT THE FINISH, AS THERE IS A 5-6 HOUR TIME DIFFERENCE IN RUN TIMES, THERE WILL BE NO SET STARTING TIME. BEGIN WHENEVER YOU LIKE JUST TRY AND TIME YOUR RUN SO THAT YOU CAN FINISH AT THE RED BRICK TAVERN BETWEEN 4 AND 5 PM, THIS WAY WE CAN ENJOY EACH OTHERS COMPANY FOR A WHILE (AND THE FAST PEOPLE GET TO SLEEP IN!). Just to give Wag virgins a rough idea, the finish times range from 4.5 to 9 hours.
STARTING AT SAM’S POINT, REGARDLESS OF THE TIME, WILL REQUIRE SIGNING IN AND PAYING A $10 PER CAR FEE. PLEASE PAY THE FEE EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT LEAVING A CAR. In addition, a Mohonk Preserve membership or the purchase of a day pass ($12) is required as you will be crossing their lands.
Wagathon Route 2012:
All distances are obviously best estimates so if you are using a GPS, the numbers might vary a bit. It’s also a great idea to print this (wag directions in word) and bring maps (NY-NJ Trail conference maps are available at Rock and Snow for $10.95) if you don’t know your way around…or follow a local. Also, there will be 3 cards to find this year. One on top of the Trapps, one at Skytop Tower, and one on Bonticou. Have fun!!!
P.S. Alternate directions around the rock scrambles are in RED and an alternate finish is in BLUE
Sam’s Point To Trapps Bridge – mostly the same
- Take right at fork on paved road
- At 1.0 take right at double blue blazes onto Ice Caves Road
- At 1.1 take left onto Verdeerder Kill Falls trail. Single track and rocky. Teal blazed
- At 2.9 Cross Verdeerder Kill Falls. Don’t take double blazes on right. Check out the falls.
- At 3.2 reach end of Verdeerder Kill Falls trail. Scenic Trail to Lake Awosting straight ahead. DO NOT take left onto Red/Teal blazed long path to High Point.
- At 5.1 trail ends. Go left to Lake Awosting. Go right on Lake Awosting Carriageway blazed black.
- At 6.3 take a right towards Hamilton Point Carriageway.
- At 7.0 go through yellow barrier and take yellow blazed Hamilton Point Carriageway on right. (If you are not doing the rock scramble, take a left here on blue blazed Castle Point Carriageway and wind you way to the top, adds distance)
- At 7.1 take left on Lavender blazed path and rock scramble up to Castle Point. Be careful on rocks.
- At 7.3 take right on blue blazed Castle Point Carriageway.
- At 9.8 take right past barrier onto washed out trail.
- At 9.9 take left onto yellow blazed Hamilton point carriageway.
- At 10.0 make hard right onto yellow blazed Millbrook Mountain Carriageway.
- Pass Patterson’s Pellet and pass Gertrude’s Nose Trail on right. Do Not Take. Stay on Millbrook Carriageway
- At 12.2 reach end of Millbrook Carriageway. Summit on right. Check it out!
- Take red blazed Millbrook Mountain Trail from end of cul de sac. Go downhill steeply.
- VERY IMPORTANT At 12.4 take blue blazed Coxing Trail on right. Easy to miss so pay attention.
- At 14.1 reach Trapps Road. Go right
- At 15.1 arrive at Trapps Bridge. This is a great place to stash food and water the day before.
From Trapps Bridge to Gatehouse – The beginning of this section is different from years past
- Take right at large boulder onto Undercliff Road and go downhill past fence/overlook
- At 15.3 go left up vague path/rock scramble. This begins just before the first rock climbs. You will be following pink ribbons for the next 2 miles. Follow path up rocks to a small gulley on right and get on top of Trapps. (if you don’t wan to run the top of the Trapps, you can take Undercliff Road or Overcliff Road to Laurel Ledge Road, doesn’t add distance)
- Run difficult single track across the ridge, picking up a card from an area with a fantastic view of skytop tower. Look for a flag. Then take a rock slab exit on left at 17.1
- Around 17.2 take a right on Overcliff Road.
- At 17.6 take left before Rhododendron Bridge onto Laurel Ledge Road.
- A t 17.9 take right on blue blazed Giants Path. Scramble up through caves. Follow steep path straight uphill. (If you are not doing the rock scramble, stay straight on Laurel Ledge Road, adds distance)
- Take right on Humpty Dumpty carriage road.
- At 18.3 take left on Short Woodland Drive at a triangle intersection
- At 18.4 take a left onto Lake Shore Path (sign)
- At 18.6 reach Mohonk Lake. Go right
- At 18.8 cross Lake Shore Road at boathouse onto Lake Shore Path heading for Spring Path
- At 18.9 take a right onto Spring Path
- At 19.1 go left onto red blazed rock scramble just before a gazebo. Cedar arrow on post. Follow red arrows through boulder field towards crevice.
- Enter crevice and ascend ladders to the top
- Exit Crevice at 19.3 Go right and across bridge. Ascend following red arrows and climb stairs to Skytop Road. Go right
- Make your way to the entrance of Skytop Tower.
- Climb tower steps collecting a card from underneath a corner seat held up by concrete blocks down two flights of steps from the top of the tower
- Exit Tower and go right on Skytop Road
- At 20.0 pass lily pond on left-keep to the right on Skytop Road
- At 20.2 take Fox Path to Woodland Bridge on right (rough single track)
- At 20.4 reach auto road. Go right
- At 20.5 take second carriageway (Terrace Road) on right passing “Cars Do Not Enter” sign
- At 21.1 go through old shale pit and cross auto road.
- At 21.2 take right on Terrace path (single track) stay right paralleling the auto road
- At 21.2 Terrace path crosses the auto road and continues on the other side
- At 21.6 reach Lenape Lane. Go left and uphill
- At 21.8 reach Mohonk Mountain House Gatehouse
From The Gatehouse to the finish – The end is different from years past
- Go right down Mountain Rest Rd. (paved) towards New Paltz
- At 22.1 miles take a left onto blue blazed Northeast Trail
- At 22.3 go left onto blue blazed single track Northeast Trail
- At 22.6 cross the red blazed Bonticou Path. Continue on blue blazed Northeast Trail
- At 23.2 reach yellow blazed Bonticou Ascent Path. Take right and follow yellow blazed trail rock scramble to Bonticou Summit.(If you are not doing the rock scramble, stay straight on blue blazed Northeast Trail downhill to a right hand turn at a boulder covered in rock cairns, turn right on yellow path to summit, adds distance)
- At 23.4 reach Bonticou Summit. Get a card under rock with ribbons. Leave summit following yellow blazes north.
- At 23.7 reach the end of the yellow blazed path and return to the blue blazed Northeast Trail. Take sharp right uphill. This turn is easy to miss.
- At 24.6 reach the end of the Northeast Trail. Go right and downhill on the Clearwater Road. (Follow pink ribbons for the next couple of miles)
- Stay on the remnant of the old Clearwater Road through wet swampy area.
- At 25.1 out of swampy area onto clean, clear carriage road.
- At 25.2 trail hits a large downed tree. Go left onto Larsen loop trail. (If you choose to follow a quicker route to the rail trail go straight past the tree. After a left had turn and a steep descent, there is a quick left up hill at a rock with an arrow. Follow this up then down to the right through a field and out to the rail trail. make a left, doesn’t add distance)
- Follow pink ribbons to Rail Trail at 27.6. Go left.
- At 27.9 (end of rail trail) go right on Keator Ave (paved)
- At 28.1 go left at church.
- At 28.2 cross bridge and go right on Main St.
- At 28.4 arrive at Red Brick Tavern on left.